[spambayes-dev] [Spambayes] Outlook express

Richie Hindle richie at entrian.com
Wed Dec 10 00:20:00 CET 2008

[Richie]
> I'll be happy to upgrade [the SpamBayes wiki] to the current
> version of MoinMoin, update the look and feel to match yours,
> and improve the navigational integration between the main site
> and the wiki.

[Skip]
> I suspect we could host it on the Python wiki site as well:
>    http://wiki.python.org/
> if you would like to unload the maintenance burden.

I'm happy to do the upgrade where it is, or for it to move.  I think
given the age of the current wiki software, doing a "proper" upgrade
(or a proper move) would be a scary job.  If I were to upgrade, I'd
probably make a new installation of MoinMoin and just copy the current
version of each page in there, keeping the old installation around
somewhere for the archaeologists.  8-)  None of the pages has changed
in literally years.

Likewise, the user database is chock-full of accounts created by
spammers, so I would probably ditch it and ask the few "regulars" to
re-register.  Hence, an upgrade wouldn't be a big job for me, but also
a move to another wiki wouldn't be a scary job either.

The ongoing "maintenance burden" consists of clearing out spam, for
which I have a script that does it for me, so that's no problem.
(That script wouldn't port to another wiki, so I guess that's a reason
for leaving it where it is... though I also guess that the Python wiki
has the spam problem under control).  I also take regular backups, but
that's fully automated too.

A better reason for leaving where it is is the ability to integrate it
with Amedee's new website, if that comes to pass.  We should be able
to integrate the navigation structure of the website and the wiki so
that they make up one unified site.

In summary, I'm happy to leave it where it is and upgrade it (and in
future, keep on top of upgrading it!), and do whatever's needed to
integrate it with Amedee's new website.  But if anyone feels strongly
that the content should move into the Python wiki, I'm fine with that
too.

--
Richie Hindle
richie at entrian.com