[spambayes-dev] FW: [Jocr-devels] redistribute gocr binaries?

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Tue Feb 27 13:59:53 CET 2007

    Sjoerd> Do keep in mind that gocr and ocrad are not installed on all
    Sjoerd> systems.  It's great if you put it into the Windows
    Sjoerd> distribution, but on Linux that is not an option, and spambayes
    Sjoerd> should still work on Linux as well.

The image analysis code will still work if you enable the image cracking
options but don't have the requisite ocr engine installed.  It just emits a
message to standard error and returns.

    Sjoerd> On Fedora Core, those two programs are not available unless the
    Sjoerd> system administrator gets them from some third party repository
    Sjoerd> (gocr (but not ocrad) is available in freshrpms) or builds them
    Sjoerd> from source.

I suspect that's true for many systems.  It is certainly true on my Mac.  On
my Ubuntu system both ocrad and gocr are available if I check the "community
maintained" box in the repositories popup.

Skip