[SciPy-User] Pylab - standard packages

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 19:27:16 EDT 2012

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 6:17 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 3:00 PM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
>> FWIW, AFAICT every distribution we're talking about as "pylab
>> candidates" already *does* include compilers (at least EPD, Anaconda,
>> Python(x,y) do, and so does every Linux distribution, plus I assume
>> most ways of getting a usable OS X system require this).
>
> Mmh, I thought none of them covered the hugely important OSX case.  On
> OSX, Xcode is a separate download, or at least it used to be.  It may
> have changed, I don't use OSX.
>
> And speaking of windows, do they all include a compiler that works for
> both 32- and 64-bit versions, and that can build cython extensions
> regardless of how Python itself was compiled?  I've never understood
> the soup of compatibility problems on Windows between the MS compilers
> and others...
>
> Finally, none of them ship a fortran compiler that I know...
>
> But in any case, *if* getting Cython working out of the box on OSX and
> windows 32- and 64-bit is actually easy and/or already done by all of
> them, that's awesome!  I'd love to be proven wrong on my fears here...

pythonxy, and I guess the others, only have MingW for 32 bit, it
includes gfortran which is still incompatible with scipy.

(Skipper is building the statsmodels binaries with Microsoft compilers.
a quick check:
sklearn binaries for 64bit windows point to Gohlke which "Requires
Numpy-MKL" not stock numpy.
pymc (requires fortran) is 32 bit binaries only
)

I don't see anything for 64 bit windows outside of Microsoft and Intel
compilers, and binary distributions that use those.

Josef