[SciPy-User] Pylab - standard packages

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 18:17:00 EDT 2012

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 3:00 PM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
> FWIW, AFAICT every distribution we're talking about as "pylab
> candidates" already *does* include compilers (at least EPD, Anaconda,
> Python(x,y) do, and so does every Linux distribution, plus I assume
> most ways of getting a usable OS X system require this).

Mmh, I thought none of them covered the hugely important OSX case.  On
OSX, Xcode is a separate download, or at least it used to be.  It may
have changed, I don't use OSX.

And speaking of windows, do they all include a compiler that works for
both 32- and 64-bit versions, and that can build cython extensions
regardless of how Python itself was compiled?  I've never understood
the soup of compatibility problems on Windows between the MS compilers
and others...

Finally, none of them ship a fortran compiler that I know...

But in any case, *if* getting Cython working out of the box on OSX and
windows 32- and 64-bit is actually easy and/or already done by all of
them, that's awesome!  I'd love to be proven wrong on my fears here...