[SciPy-User] Symbol not found: _aswfa_

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 6 16:28:17 EST 2011

On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 8:35 PM, Lynn Oliver <raycores at gmail.com> wrote:

> That thread is also at [SciPy-User] cephes library issues: Symbol not
> found: _aswfa_ [SOLVED]<http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/scipy-user/2010-November/027548.html>,
> and it seems the issue turned out to be the version of the fortran compiler
> that was installed.
>
> According to Installing SciPy/Mac OS X -<http://www.scipy.org/Installing_SciPy/Mac_OS_X>,
> I need to use gfortran-lion-5666-3.pkg at Tools - R for Mac OS X -
> developer's page - GNU Fortan for Xcode <http://r.research.att.com/tools/>,
> which is listed as v4.2.4.  I did the install, but as you can see below, it
> is showing the version as 4.2.1, although the build number (5666) is
> correct.  I'm not sure if this means I am using the correct version or not.
>  I have XCode 4.2 installed, while the package is listed as requiring 4.1.

That should be the correct gfortran, the incorrect version number is a
known problem. Newer XCode shouldn't matter.

> I'm running the Python version that ships with Lion, which so far has been
> the only way to get the correct versions of tk/tcl, tkinter, numpy, and
> matplotlib all working on Lion without going to a non open-source
> distribution.
>

> I had the environment variable set to select 32-bit mode (export
> VERSIONER_PYTHON_PREFER_32_BIT_=TRUE), but when I remove that I'm still
> getting 32-bit for some reason.  Until I figure that out I can't check to
> see if the 64-bit version has the issue.  It wouldn't matter that much
> anyway, because pyinstaller only works with 32-bit python.

That's odd. But anyway you need the 32-bit version of cephes in the
universal binary to work, and it doesn't. This could be a distutils bug or
something in the scipy build. Picking the non-default part of a universal
binary is hardly tested at all. Could you file a bug please?

Ralf