[SciPy-User] [SciPy-user] question about modules and installed packages with Scipy, Python, Ubuntu

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 12:16:11 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 11:56 AM, villamil <villamil at brandeis.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
> I installed the scipy package with Synaptic Manager in Ubuntu, but when I
> run a script with Python-IDLE that imports this package, I get an error that
> says the package is not found.
> Next thing I tried is running the script with iPython, for which I don't get
> that error.  The problem is that I'm just getting started and I don't feel
> quite as comfortable working in iPython.
> So my question is: does anyone know why Python-IDLE is showing that error?
> Oh, and I also think but am not sure that it has to do with the fact that I
> installed version 2.7 after I was using 2.6 for both Python and Python-IDLE.
> If this is the cause, does anyone know how to fix this?  Do I have to
> uninstall the old versions?

You need to open the IDLE that comes with the version of python where
you have scipy installed.

I'm on Windows and have 4 IDLE shortcuts set up, that point to and
start with one of python 2.5, 2.6., 2.7. and 3.2

There is no problem having parallel versions of python installed, but
it's always necessary to check which python is used.

(Although, I don't know the details for Linux)

Josef