[SciPy-User] [SciPy-user] question about modules and installed packages with Scipy, Python, Ubuntu

villamil villamil at brandeis.edu
Fri Jun 10 11:56:28 EDT 2011

Hello,
I installed the scipy package with Synaptic Manager in Ubuntu, but when I
run a script with Python-IDLE that imports this package, I get an error that
says the package is not found.
Next thing I tried is running the script with iPython, for which I don't get
that error.  The problem is that I'm just getting started and I don't feel
quite as comfortable working in iPython.
So my question is: does anyone know why Python-IDLE is showing that error?
Oh, and I also think but am not sure that it has to do with the fact that I
installed version 2.7 after I was using 2.6 for both Python and Python-IDLE.
If this is the cause, does anyone know how to fix this?  Do I have to
uninstall the old versions?

Thank you.
Diego