[SciPy-User] 2d spline interpolation with periodic boundaries

lists at hilboll.de lists at hilboll.de
Tue Aug 30 05:29:34 EDT 2011

Hi there,

I want to do 2d interpolation with periodic boundary conditions.
Basically, I have data on a global (as in Earth) rectangular (as in
degrees latitude/longitude) grid, and I'd like to interpolate to arbitrary
points on the Earth's surface. So I need periodic boundary conditions in
the zonal direction.

Now, I'd like to look into ``scipy.interpolate.interp2d`` and
``scipy.interpolate.RectBivariateSpline``. Now my question is: Is it
enough to give an Western boundary at 360° in addition to the Eastern
values at 0° to really give me period boundary conditions?

Another question is: How does RectBivariateSpline work? There's not much
info in the docs as to what the function actually does, math-wise.

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Cheers,
Andreas.