[SciPy-User] How to install cpufreq-selector

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 02:28:02 EDT 2011

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 00:42, Xiong Deng <dbigbear at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am installing numpy, scipy, atlas which requires disabling CPU throttling.
>
> http://math-atlas.sourceforge.net/atlas_install/
>
> OS:
> * LINUX: Linux XXX 2.6.9_5-9-0-0 #1 SMP Wed Jun 23 14:03:19 CST 2010
> x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 3)
>
> It is very strange that cpufreq-selector seems not exist in the system...I
> tried to install it myself, but cannot find any source code or install
> package of it on the internet...

Googling suggests that it may be available on some Red Hat versions as
cpufreq-utils:

  http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archive/index.php/t-92619.html

Or it simply may not exist on RHEL4.

> So how can get the CPU throttling disabled and how can I have
> cpufreq-selector installed ?
>
> Tried to manipulate the file
> /proc/acpi/processor/CPU/throttling
>
> but it does not exist.

The above link has other locations on the filesystem where these
settings may be manipulated directly. It can vary from version to
version of the Linux kernel and even the configuration of the
particular build of the kernel. You may need to ask on the RHEL4
support mailing lists to get better information.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco