[SciPy-User] Central File Exchange for SciPy

Keith Goodman kwgoodman at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 15:36:46 EDT 2010

On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 11:13 PM, David Warde-Farley
<wardefar at iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> Ideally, we'd be able to use GitHub gists, or whatever the equivalent mechanism is for several other sites (bitbucket, gitorious, pastebin.com). GitHub provides a gists API which makes machine-readable info about the gist available via JSON, so even just an URL and tags would be enough and you could fetch the rest via API.

>From where I sit, the gallery above the peanut gallery, I think it is
disheartening that we all use github instead of a FOSS version like
gitorious. If the linux kernel did the same (continued to use
proprietary package management) we wouldn't even have git. I wonder
what our choice to use github (along with what seems like a million
other developers) means for the prospects of a gist-like feature in
gitorious (which we could install on our own servers).