[SciPy-User] Central File Exchange for SciPy

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 07:28:47 EDT 2010

On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 4:57 AM, Gael Varoquaux
<gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 03:13:50AM -0400, william ratcliff wrote:
>>    Would a first version without the gist feature be useful?
>
> IMHO: Yes!
>
> I think the gist idea is excellent. Gist is awesome. I should start using
> it in my technical blogposts. However, I side with Fernando that the core
> scipy-specific functionality is more important than the version-control
> sweetness of gist.

One advantage of the matlab fileexchange is it's permanence. The
problem I face quite often with topical link collections is that the
original author moves to other things, changes jobs, internet hosting
services and so on, and the source behind the links disappear.

So, even when a gist or similar option for source controlled recipes
is available, I would prefer if there is a local copy of the original
code available. This way it would still be available 5 years later.

Also, peanut gallery, but I think I will be a user and post my recipes
there instead of "spamming" the scipy mailing list with it.

Josef