[SciPy-user] Compile scipy from SVN on OS X: no clapack ?

Pierre GM pgmdevlist at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 03:01:41 EDT 2009

On Apr 7, 2009, at 10:41 PM, David Cournapeau wrote:

> Pierre GM wrote:
>> All,
>> I'm working on a piece of code that requires numerous calls to
>> scipy.linalg.eigvals. I was surprised by the slowness of the code, so
>> I figured I'd check whether my installation of scipy was correct.
>>

> When you said surprised by the slowness, is it comparatively to
> scipy on
> another OS on the same/comparable machine ?

Oh no, I don't have any particular reference, it's just that ~3s to
compute the eigenvalues of a 365x365 matrix looked a bit long
(especially as I need to compute a lot of those)... I was just afraid
I had missed something somewhere.

>> Turns out it's probably not: running the tests, I end up w/ some
>> messages indicating that clapack is empty. That never really mattered
>> until now...
>>

> Accelerate does not have a clapack interface, IIRC. It should not
> matter
> much if you have an accelerated lapack

But I don;t know if I do! Do I need to compile lapack from source,
when I have an atlas from macports and the Accelerate framework ?