[SciPy-user] Compile scipy from SVN on OS X: no clapack ?

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Tue Apr 7 22:41:11 EDT 2009

Pierre GM wrote:
> All,
> I'm working on a piece of code that requires numerous calls to
> scipy.linalg.eigvals. I was surprised by the slowness of the code, so
> I figured I'd check whether my installation of scipy was correct.

When you said surprised by the slowness, is it comparatively to scipy on
another OS on the same/comparable machine ?

> Turns out it's probably not: running the tests, I end up w/ some
> messages indicating that clapack is empty. That never really mattered
> until now...

Accelerate does not have a clapack interface, IIRC. It should not matter
much if you have an accelerated lapack - maybe the different you could
see, assuming it is faster on linux, is due to atlas having an optimized
version on Linux but not on mac os x (Accelerate mostly use atlas, I
believe - and atlas recently included more optimized lapack functions).

cheers,

David