[SciPy-user] Bayes net question

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Wed Jan 16 03:10:55 EST 2008

Matthieu Brucher wrote:

>     > I've heard much praise for Kevin Murphy's toolbox for Matlab (
>     http://
>     > www.cs.ubc.ca/~murphyk/Software/BNT/bnt.html
>     <http://www.cs.ubc.ca/%7Emurphyk/Software/BNT/bnt.html> ), and
>     this might be
>     > helpful in extending PBNT or starting another Bayes net Python
>     > library. Since it is released under the LGPL, any straightforward
>     > port of Kevin's code to Python would likely need to live in scigpl.
>     >
>     >
>     I actually asked K. Murphy if he would agree on dual licensing BNT and
>     co under the BSD, for porting to scipy/scikits, and am waiting for
>     his
>     answer on this,
>

> This is excellent news :)
Well, nothing is done yet, so I am not sure if this can be called news
yet :)
> BTW, the LGPL license should be OK for an inclusion in scikits,
> shouldn't it ?
I don't know if this has changed with the whole license discussion from
a few days ago, but originally, any open source license was acceptable
for scikits, which is the convention I am still following.

Still, if possible, it is better to have BSD license if possible,
because it makes it possible to include code from scikits into scipy.
> You're planning to add it to scikits.learn ?
I have not thought about it. I am still not satisfied with the current
situation of the scikits, to be frank, but I am not sure I have any
solution to it either. Hopefully, we will be able to discuss about that
in the next few months (there is a plan to do a numpy/scipy sprint, +
some work on ML-related code after ICASSP)

cheers,

David