[SciPy-user] Adding pysamplerate to scikits ?

Lev Givon lev at columbia.edu
Mon Nov 19 09:20:43 EST 2007

Received from Jarrod Millman on Sun, Nov 18, 2007 at 11:04:33PM EST:
> On Nov 18, 2007 7:12 PM, David Cournapeau <david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> >     Just wanted to know if it would be ok to add pysamplerate to scikits
> > ? pysamplerate is a (really rough for now) wrapper around SRC for high
> > quality audio resampling (using sinc interpolation). It would be LGPL,
> > as SRC itself:

SRC is licensed under the GPL, not the LGPL:

http://www.mega-nerd.com/SRC/license.html

Offhand, I am not sure how this impacts the distribution of David's
wrapper under the BSD license.

> +1
>
> I would be happy to see you adding a audio resampling scikit.  As you

Me too; I was actually looking for something like this recently.

> I am sure you will guess, my only concern is that you rename the
> package to at least remove the 'py'.  I would also prefer to see it
> named resample over samplerate.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Jarrod Millman

Although I agree that there are better names than "samplerate", it
might be preferable to retain the name of the underlying library (or
perhaps choose something else entirely) because there is another free
resampling library called (lib)resample:

http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/resample/

Given my previous observation regarding SRC's license, it is worth
noting that this library is licensed under the LGPL (supposedly
because the author found SRC's license problematic for his purposes).

							L.G.