[SciPy-user] fftw3 wrappers

Nils Wagner nwagner at iam.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed Aug 8 02:53:24 EDT 2007

David Cournapeau wrote:
> Lars Friedrich wrote:
>
>> Hi David,
>>
>> thank you for your answer.
>>
>> David Cournapeau wrote:
>>
>>> Mmh, sorry, I missed that you were interested in multi dimensional fft,
>>> this may explain the result. For 1d, fftw3 wrappers are almost always
>>> faster than numpy, but not for multi dimensional
>>>
>> Maybe I just did not tell before... I thought this would not make any
>> difference.
>>
> It shouldn't, but the current implementation is suboptimal for multi
> dimensional fft (please note that the original implementation of fft in
> scipy makes it possible to use not less than 5 different fft backend,
> which is already quite an achievement; I don't want to sound like I am
> bashing anyone work, just that you can expect better performances in a
> near future).
>
>>> What does scipy.show_config() tells you ?

>> fftw2_info:
>>    NOT AVAILABLE
>>
>> fftw3_info:
>>    NOT AVAILABLE
>>
> Well, that means that fftw3 was not found, or not used when it was
> packaged :)
>
> Which platform are you on ? Did you install fftw3 (as well as
> development package on linux) ?

I have used site.cfg on openSuSE10.2 with
[fftw3]
library_dirs = /usr/lib64
include_dirs = /usr/include
fftw_libs = fftw3

Nils

rpm -qi fftw3
Name        : fftw3                        Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 3.1.2                             Vendor: SUSE LINUX
Products GmbH, Nuernberg, Germany
Release     : 19                            Build Date: Sat 25 Nov 2006
01:34:01 PM CET
Install Date: Mon 16 Apr 2007 05:32:26 PM CEST      Build Host:
adams.suse.de
Group       : Productivity/Scientific/Math   Source RPM:
fftw3-3.1.2-19.src.rpm
Size        : 3268111                          License: GNU General
Public License (GPL)
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Sat 25 Nov 2006 01:39:32 PM CET, Key ID
a84edae89c800aca
Packager    : http://bugs.opensuse.org
URL         : http://www.fftw.org
Summary     : Discrete Fourier Transform (DFT) C Subroutine Library
Description :
FFTW is a C subroutine library for computing the Discrete Fourier
Transform (DFT) in one or more dimensions, of both real and complex
data, and of arbitrary input size.

Authors:
--------
    Matteo Frigo <athena at fftw.org>