[SciPy-user] fftw3 wrappers

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Wed Aug 8 02:42:35 EDT 2007

Lars Friedrich wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> thank you for your answer.
>
> David Cournapeau wrote:
>> Mmh, sorry, I missed that you were interested in multi dimensional fft,
>> this may explain the result. For 1d, fftw3 wrappers are almost always
>> faster than numpy, but not for multi dimensional
>
> Maybe I just did not tell before... I thought this would not make any
> difference.
It shouldn't, but the current implementation is suboptimal for multi
dimensional fft (please note that the original implementation of fft in
scipy makes it possible to use not less than 5 different fft backend,
which is already quite an achievement; I don't want to sound like I am
bashing anyone work, just that you can expect better performances in a
near future).

>> What does scipy.show_config() tells you ?

> fftw2_info:
>    NOT AVAILABLE
>
> fftw3_info:
>    NOT AVAILABLE
Well, that means that fftw3 was not found, or not used when it was
packaged :)

Which platform are you on ? Did you install fftw3 (as well as
development package on linux) ?