[SciPy-user] install location of the newcore header files

Gerard Vermeulen gerard.vermeulen at grenoble.cnrs.fr
Tue Oct 11 10:26:23 EDT 2005

Sorry if this shows up in a strange place in the thread, but some replies did
not make it into my inbox.

Robert Kern wrote:

>> I finally discovered where the header files get installed when reading CAPI.txt;
>> on the scip-dev list it is argued that the Python include directory is not a
>> standard place for headers.
>
> No one is arguing that it's not standard. I'm arguing that it's a *bad*
> place because frequently people can't install to it.

To anybody who can't install some files in the "standard" locations, I advise
to do something like:

python setup.py install --root=~/MyPythonStuff

The directory layout of this installation under ~/MyPythonStuff is the
same as if it would be installed in the Python tree.

It is a minor adjustment for the dictates of distutils; and works for
any package which tries to install headers in the "standard" locations.

Gerard