[SciPy-user] Python's various numeric packages

Perry Greenfield perry at stsci.edu
Tue Jul 15 19:45:52 EDT 2003

No dates fixed in stone, but here is the basic plan

0.6 to be released this week, this reorganizes numarray as a package

0.7 (few weeks?) Will include PyObject support

0.8 (2 months?) Will include MA support. At this point we hope to replicate
all Numeric functionality (other than the planned changes).

v1.0 will come out when 0.8 has been tested by users for a little while
(with
perhaps a 0.9 if many changes and fixes are needed)

> Numarray and Numeric will co-exist for a long while.  Numarray is new
> and therefore less well tested.  It also has slower performance for
> small arrays by about a factor of 3, but is faster for large arrays.
> There are also many packages that rely on Numeric out in the wild, and
> the transition will be slow.

There may be some rough corners where performance of numarray needs
optimization
that haven't yet been handled (e.g. printing? slicing?)

> At some point, SciPy will cut over to using Numarray.  STSci folks are
> working on getting the major portions of the port to work.  The process
> and time for doing this hasn't been decided.  If it is easy to support
> both Numeric and numarray, we will.  If it isn't, we'll have to think
> hard about when and how to do the transition.

yep

Perry Greenfield