[SciPy-user] Error on importing scipy

Pearu Peterson pearu at cens.ioc.ee
Sun Oct 13 15:26:14 EDT 2002

On Sun, 13 Oct 2002, Stephen Boulet wrote:

> Now that I have scipy installed, I get this error as a regular user:

> exceptions.ImportError:
> /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/scipy/linalg/_flinalg.so: undefined symbol:
> dlaswp_
  ^^^^^^^

Did you follow instructions in

  http://math-atlas.sourceforge.net/errata.html#completelp

If yes, then what is the output of
  python scipy_distutils/system_info.py
?

Hmm, in scipy/INSTALL.txt is written that SciPy requires ATLAS 3.3.14 or
newer. Is anyone using ATLAS 3.2.1 succesfully with scipy?

> But as root, I get this error:

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/scipy/__init__.py", line 36, in ?
>     from scipy_base import *
>   File "scipy_base/__init__.py", line 99, in ?
>     import fastumath
> ImportError: No module named fastumath

That's because you are trying to import scipy from its source directory.
Change to another directory and try again.

Pearu