[SciPy-Dev] Github workflow

Pauli Virtanen pav at iki.fi
Fri Oct 11 14:49:45 EDT 2019

to, 2019-10-10 kello 08:34 +0200, Andrew Nelson kirjoitti:
> devs,
> I'm involved in giving some feedback to Github at the moment, as
> related to how SciPy users experience Github. Does anyone have any
> feedback on:
>
> - Bugs / Feature requests - are there Github workflows you want to
> enable? What's the specific feature you want?

There are low-hanging fruits for improving the review workflow.
Here's the most important:

Add a button the PR submitter / maintainers can press, which adds a
status marker for "requesting further review from *someone*". New PRs
would have the status flag set, and the submitter could use this to
mark a PR ready after making requested changes.

This becomes important when you have a large number of pull requests at
various stages of progress.

The "Reviewers" box on the upper right on the PR page is something like
this, but does not work in practice:

(1) PR submitters generally don't use it, usually don't know who they
should choose, and there's no way to set the default value.
(2) Requesting specific developers to review something is not a good
match for open-source projects with many developers.
(3) In Github UI you can only filter for "Awaiting review from you" but
not "Awaiting review from someone".
(4) Most importantly, it's not possible to exclude PRs with the
"Reviewed by someone, and currently not awaiting review" status out.

Labels cannot be used for this as-is, because the PR submitter cannot
modify them. The comment box is also not useful for this (no way to
search/filter for that in Github UI, and the 100+ daily email volume
from Github already prevents manual tracking).

	Pauli