[SciPy-dev] 0.8 release date?

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 21:54:33 EST 2010

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 8:31 PM, David Cournapeau <david at silveregg.co.jp> wrote:
> Warren Weckesser wrote:
>> Is there currently a target date (even a tentative one) for the release
>> of 0.8?
>
> Not that I know of, but I think it would be good to have one. I would
> also like to have a binary release for scipy which is compatible with
> whatever version will be used for numpy based on 1.4.x branch, something
> like:
>        - Scipy 0.8.0 and Numpy 2.0.
>        - Scipy 0.7.2 and Numpy 1.4.x
>
> This only concerns binaries - at the source level, I think both numpy
> 1.4.x and 2.0 can be used against scipy trunk (at least the scipy trunk
> as recent as last week works well with 1.4.x, that's what I am using for
> my own work).
>
> The big question is whether we should release scipy 0.8.0 without caring
> about py3k compatibility at all, in which case we could aim at a release
> in April, and go into bug fixing mode only from now.

Improving py3k compatibility would then require numpy 2.0 instead of
numpy 1.4, does it?

In terms of compatibilities, for me the main question is how soon
other packages, e.g. matplotlib, h5py, tables, ... , will be able to
provide binary distributions for numpy 2.0. Is it difficult for those
packages to adjust, or does it basically only require recompiling?
If there is a time lag, I would prefer if we can get a numpy 1.4
compatible scipy 0.8 release.

In scipy.stats, I have two things that I really want in scipy 0.8.
(spearmanr rewrite and removing pdf_approx), the rest can wait if I
don't find the time (and no one else does either).

Josef