Brian Granger ellisonbg.net at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 16:36:23 EST 2009

About a year ago, we moved IPython development to bzr.  Since then I
have moved all my projects to DVCS's (mainly git and bzr).  At this
point, I can't imagine using a non-DVCS like svn.  Using bzr (even
given the downsides of bzr) has really helped the IPython development
workflow and has really encouraged new people to contribute (this has
actually happened!).

So for me the choice to move numpy/scipy development to a DVCS is a
no-brainer.  Personally, I don't see how everyone has survived using
svn this long.

In terms of which DVCS to pick.  I have primarily used git and bzr
(some hg too) and all of them will get the job done.  I like certain
things about git and other things about bzr.  But, I find myself using
git if I have a choice, mainly because I am impatient and git is fast.
 While the bzr+Launchpad setup that we are using with IPython works
OK, it is painfully slow (especially the web interface on Launchpad).

Cheers,

Brian