[SciPy-dev] -Qnew option breaks scipy

Eric Nodwell nodwell at physics.ubc.ca
Sun Apr 30 16:21:25 EDT 2006

If a command line switch exists, it will be used.

According to http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0238, this project:
http://www.vpython.org, has a need for running everything with -Qnew .
 I can't say whether they truely need it or not, I only point it out
as an example of the above axiom.

This is something which will have to be done eventually anyways, since
some day -Qnew will become the default.  Maybe not in the 2.x series
as you point out.  OK, I admit I'm not submitting a patch myself,
merely pointing it out in the hope that someone will say, hey I can
fix that in 5 minutes.  For all I know however a fix would require a
major rewrite of scipy.

I was using -Qnew because I often use python as an interactive
calculator and I was getting tired of typing "from __future__ import
division" so I aliased python -Qnew.  Too bad if this is something one
ought not to do, because it makes the best calculator that I know of.
It does no good to put the future statement in a module listed in
PYTHONSTARTUP, because then, as you point out, the effect is limited
to that module.