[SciPy-dev] -Qnew option breaks scipy

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Sun Apr 30 15:24:47 EDT 2006

Eric Nodwell wrote:
> Using the -Qnew switch with python breaks scipy (version 0.4.8 and
> previous versions I have tested).

Okay. So don't do that. I really don't think Python will be switching to the new
division scheme in the 2.x series any more than it will switch to all-Unicode
strings in that timeframe (-U). These options are for testing only, not deployment.

> The lines below demonstrate this.  In summary, I run:
> (1) python without -Q option, and without "from __future__ import
> division".  This works.
> (2) python without -Q option, and with "from __future__ import
> division".  This works.
> (2) python with the -Qnew option, and without "from __future__ import
> division".  This breaks scipy.

Note that "from __future__ import division" is a per-module setting. Executing
it at the prompt only sets it in the __main__ module; it does not extend inside
scipy or any other imported module.

--
Robert Kern
robert.kern at gmail.com