[SciPy-dev] Announce: First installable version of Chaco plotting toolkit is now available

Fernando Perez fperez at pizero.colorado.edu
Fri Sep 20 19:17:24 EDT 2002

On Fri, 20 Sep 2002, David C. Morrill wrote:

> We are pleased to announce that the first installable version of the Chaco
> plotting toolkit is now available for download at:
>
>      http://www.scipy.org/site_content/chaco
>
> This package includes both the low-level Kiva drawing API as well as the
> high-level Chaco plotting toolkit (and demo).
>
> Its very early code with lots of features still missing; but it does work
> and there is a lot of function already available, so we would encourage
> anyone who has an interest to give it a try.

Well, the demo on the page looks beautiful and got me all excited. But...

[~]> python /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/chaco/demo/wxdemo_plot.py
Segmentation fault

I get the help window to open and the plot window opens with the title "Chaco
Plot Package Demonstration" and some plot areas. But these are blank areas,
where only the red crosshairs appear (no plots at all). As soon as I
left-click and the properties tab window pops up, it segfaults.

Some system info in case anyone else sees the problem:

[~]> uname -a
Linux maqroll.colorado.edu 2.4.18-6mdk #1 Fri Mar 15 02:59:08 CET 2002 i686
unknown

[~]> python
Python 2.2 (#1, Feb 24 2002, 16:21:58)
[GCC 2.96 20000731 (Mandrake Linux 8.2 2.96-0.76mdk)] on linux-i386
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information

I got the wxpython package from their site.

Cheers,

f.

ps. Don't sweat this one. From past experience, getting wxpython to work is an
absolute bear (at least for me). So I'm sure the problem isn't on your end but
is wxwin/wxpython's fault.