[scikit-learn] Python Version Support Policy

Martin Thoma info at martin-thoma.de
Fri Aug 21 10:05:19 EDT 2020

Hi :-)

Did you discuss at some point a policy which Python versions you want to
support? I see that scikit-learn supports at the moment 3.6, 3.7, and 3.8
(badge in README). In a couple of weeks (October?) there will be 3.9, but I
don't see any issue opened discussing 3.9

A minor python increment (e.g. 3.8 -> 3.9) will now happen every year,
IIRC. So maybe it would be nice to just say "we support the latest 3 Python
versions". In the very least, this would mean that wheels are published and
that the CI pipeline is run for the newer versions.

I think it would also be nice to "deprecate" old features and drop support
explicitly. For example, if scikit-learn dropped support for 3.6 we could
use future annotations. The implication of such a drop of support would be
a major version increase.

Best regards,
Martin