[scikit-learn] StackOverflow Documentation

Sebastian Raschka mail at sebastianraschka.com
Thu Aug 4 01:13:25 EDT 2016

Hm, that’s an “interesting” approach by SO, I guess their idea is to build a collection of code-and-example based snippets for less well-documented libraries — especially, libraries that want to keep their documentation lean.

> But I assume that copying without attribution is actually plagiarism and should be reverted,

as far as I know, you are right regarding BSD.

In this scikit-learn case, it seems more like that these users are merely “farming” for SO points and rep by reposting scikit-learn documentation. In my opinion, the polite way to go about it is to just comment as a scikit-learn dev saying that these reposts are okay under the BSD license but that a contribution to the original source needs to be added since it violates the copyright otherwise — like you mentioned — and adding a nice message encouraging these users to make suggestions and improvements to the original docs. (and if nothing changes after xx days, I would report it to SO).