[Pythonmac-SIG] "pythonw" in a Unix build

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Mon Jan 18 04:33:51 EST 2021

> On 15 Jan 2021, at 06:24, Christopher Barker <pythonchb at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 3:14 PM Jack Jansen <jack.jansen at cwi.nl <mailto:jack.jansen at cwi.nl>> wrote:
> For example, the brew Python is installed into a framework tucked away deep in /usr/local/Cellar but you don’t notice this at all: you can just use “python foo.py” and the moment the script does GUI calls it’ll get an icon in the doc and all that.
>
> What problem are you trying to solve?
>
> It's interesting that brew python has decided to use a Framework build ....
>
> But the problem at hand is conda python which used a plain unix build.

Maybe they should switch to a framework build instead :-)

> They have provided a shell script "pythonw" that re-directs to a python inside an app bundle, and that works OK on the command line, but it does not work with, e.g. setuptools entry points.
>
> I could dig up the threads, but this has been discussed on this list, and few gitHub issues.

As mentioned on python-dev adding the “pythonw” functionality to the unix build is not very hard. I expect that integrating with the build system (Makefile/configure script) will be the hardest part due to introducing different behaviour for the macOS platform.

> In short, there are a few ways to work around these issues, but no one (the conda people, the setuptools devs) wants to put the kludgy work around in their code.
>
> And we already have a work around in the core python code, it's just that the build system needs to be set up to build it outside of a Framework.

The framework build does not have a workaround for these problems, it has a proper solution ;-).

Ronald

—

Twitter / micro.blog: @ronaldoussoren
Blog: https://blog.ronaldoussoren.net/