[Pythonmac-SIG] "pythonw" in a Unix build

Christopher Barker pythonchb at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 00:24:04 EST 2021

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 3:14 PM Jack Jansen <jack.jansen at cwi.nl> wrote:

> For example, the brew Python is installed into a framework tucked away
> deep in /usr/local/Cellar but you don’t notice this at all: you can just
> use “python foo.py” and the moment the script does GUI calls it’ll get an
> icon in the doc and all that.
>
> What problem are you trying to solve?

It's interesting that brew python has decided to use a Framework build ....

But the problem at hand is conda python which used a plain unix build.

They have provided a shell script "pythonw" that re-directs to a python
inside an app bundle, and that works OK on the command line, but it does
not work with, e.g. setuptools entry points.

I could dig up the threads, but this has been discussed on this list, and
few gitHub issues.

In short, there are a few ways to work around these issues, but no one (the
conda people, the setuptools devs) wants to put the kludgy work around in
their code.

And we already have a work around in the core python code, it's just that
the build system needs to be set up to build it outside of a Framework.

-CHB

> Jack
>
> On  14-Jan-2021, at 23:07 , Chris Barker via Pythonmac-SIG <
> pythonmac-sig at python.org> wrote:
>
> Ned suggested I bring this conversation over here from python-dev, so here
> it is.
>
> What I'd like to see done is have the "pythonw" wrapper buildable in an
> otherwise non-framework build.
>
> I *think* there are no real technical show stoppers, but it would take
> some auto-conf magic, which I am fully unqualified to take on.
>
> Anyone interested in helping make this happen ?
>
> -CHB
>

> --
>
> Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
> Oceanographer
>
> Emergency Response Division
> 7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax
>
> Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
>

> --
>
> Jack Jansen, <Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl>, http://www.cwi.nl/~jack
>
> If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution -- Emma Goldman

Christopher Barker, PhD (Chris)

Python Language Consulting
  - Teaching
  - Scientific Software Development