[Pythonmac-SIG] Building plans .....

Christopher Barker pythonchb at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 17:04:44 EDT 2020

On Sun, Mar 15, 2020 at 4:39 AM Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren at mac.com>
wrote:

> AFAIK the only difference for this discussion is the “Python.app” trick,
> and that can be accomplished outside of a framework build as well (but
> currently is not).
>
> Two other differences:
> - A framework build is easier to integrate into applications that are
> built using Xcode (just drop the framework into list of used frameworks)

When would that come into play? If you are developing an application that
embeds the python interpreter? OR if you are using XCode as your IDE for
developing a Python App?

> - py2app currently doesn’t work properly with a Unix build

But that could be fixed, yes? (And I think PyInstaller already does work
with a unix build)

I *think* this means that a unix-style build with the python.app "trick"
would be appropriate for use in distributions that are otherwise not "mac
native" -- e.g. conda, homebrew.

As to whether a style build would be OK for the python.org installer, I'm
not so sure. That may still be a candidate for a Framework build --it sure
does make installation/uninstalling easier than scatter files all over
/usr/local.

Of course, to make any of this happen, someone with the autoconf skills
needs to have the time and motivation to do it. I'm not that person (though
who knows how far I would have gotten if I'd spent the time I've spent
talking about this actually giving it a try :-) )

So we'll see. Maybe there's no one that both wants this done and has the
time and skills to do it -- such is the world of open source.

-CHB

--
Christopher Barker, PhD

Python Language Consulting