[Pythonmac-SIG] PyObjC and macOS 10.12 (Sierra)

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Wed Dec 14 20:32:57 EST 2016

> On Dec 14, 2016, at 9:44 AM, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:
>
> conda also has a non-framework build of Python -- not sure if that would cause any issues with the wheels.

I am not up on all the technical specifics, but this suggests to me that Conda would be generally unsuitable for use as a Mac native development environment, and hence not a Python you'd want to use pyobjc with.

If you don't have a framework build, you don't have an app bundle; if you don't have an app bundle then many frameworks will fail to initialize, or will start behaving in bizarre ways.  APIs like NSUserNotificationCenter will just silently do nothing, CoreLocation won't respond... it's always very confusing and hard to troubleshoot.

That said, I don't think the framework/non-framework-ness of the build is relevant to the ABI; the wheels should work fine just from a "will they link and run" perspective.  And many CoreFoundation APIs definitely work without an app bundle, so, not completely useless :-).

-glyph