[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app not including /Library/Python/2.6/site-packages

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Mon Jan 24 17:55:57 CET 2011

On 1/24/11 6:10 AM, michael ferraro wrote:
> it wont deploy without an installer but at least it runs!

I suppose so -- but what's the point? If you want to have a program run
only with a python install like yours, you don't need py2app...

It's still unclear to me what py2app is expected to be able to do with
Apple's Python. but in practice, we generally use it with the python.org
installer, as that gets you a fully independent app bundle.

In theory, you can build an app this way on 10.6, and it can run on
10.3.9 and above.

In practice, all your user-installed packages have to be built for
10.3.9 and above, too, and that is a bit tricky. However, most folks
building binaries are trying to support that, so it certainly can work.

I don't know bout QT, though -- I don't use it.

If you want to continue with Apple's python, you might try:

1) adding the extra stuff in as required packages in your setup.py

or

2) writing some post-flight code into your setup.py that copies what you
need into the app bundle --it's just a well-structured directory, after all.

good luck!

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov