[Pythonmac-SIG] Python development on OSX

Tony Cappellini cappy2112 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 04:18:04 CET 2011

Hello everyone,

I've been doing Python development on Windows for several years, and now I
will also be trying this on OSX.

After getting my Macbook Pro, I've updated the os/software, then tried
updating to Python 2.7.
No knowing there are so many places to get the core Python installer for
OSX, a friend had suggested that I install the Macports installer for 2.7
That installed fine, and I ran the command line that put that as the default
Python to execute.

I also use wxPython and want to continue developing wx apps on the Mac.
When I tried running the installer for wx, a message was displayed
indicating the postflight script had problems (I do have some info about the
specifics of that problem somewhere, but it's not handy at the moment).

So-my initial questions are...
   1. Why are there so many "variations" of the Python installer for the
Mac? (I'm not referring to 32-bit vs 64-bit architectures, although that
does complicate things quite a bit).

For example, there is the OSX installer at Python.org, then there are the
Macports python variations, and I recently read about something called
Macpython.

How does one know which o to use?

Thanks