[Pythonmac-SIG] Loading Python on my Mac

Chris Weisiger cweisiger at msg.ucsf.edu
Thu Jan 13 17:14:11 CET 2011

To add some clarification to what everyone's already said: OSX comes with a
Python install by default, but it's not the latest and greatest. You can
make a secondary install using the disk image from python.org; this will
install alongside the standard Python install, so both are available.

Once you have installed a new python, you can go to the commandline and type
"which python". This will tell you the path to the Python executable you are
currently using whenever you type "python" on the commandline. If it isn't
the python you want, you can do "which -a python" to get a list of all of
your options. For example:

% which python
/usr/bin/python
% which -a python
/usr/bin/python
/usr/local/bin/python

This says that by default I will run the python in /usr/bin (which is the
default installed Python in OSX), but that there is another python in
/usr/local/bin which I can also run (which is the one that I installed
myself).

Good luck with your class!

-Chris