[Pythonmac-SIG] New binary installers for Python 2.7 packages (retry)

Russell Owen rowen at uw.edu
Wed Oct 20 16:55:49 CEST 2010

On Oct 20, 2010, at 6:17 AM, Ralf Gommers wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 7:50 AM, Russell E. Owen <rowen at uw.edu> wrote:
>> Notes:
>> 1) the numpy 1.5.0 binary installer that is served by the numpy folks
>> does NOT work with 32-bit python 2.7. That is why I made a new installer.
>
> It apparently depends on your platform, it did work for me. There are
> some other issues for numpy, like the 2.6 installer working everywhere
> except on 10.5 Intel. For numpy 1.5.1 we set up a new build box
> running 10.5 instead of 10.6 and plan to copy the python.org naming
> scheme (and hence also provide two 2.7 installers).

I installed it on Mac OS X 10.4 Intel with the 32-bit Python 2.7 and found that it would not load at all, due to incompatible libraries. I assumed that meant it was only for 64-bit Python.

I'm very glad you'll be making two binary distros. I hope you can build a backwards compatible version for 32-bit python on 10.5. I haven't had any luck at that with PIL and matplotlib, but numpy doesn't require any included libraries so it may well work.

Regards,

-- Russell