[Pythonmac-SIG] New binary installers for Python 2.7 packages (retry)

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 20 15:17:10 CEST 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 7:50 AM, Russell E. Owen <rowen at uw.edu> wrote:
> I have build several binary installers for the python.org 32-bit Python
> 2.7 (compatible with 10.3.9 and later):
>
> numpy 1.5.0 (see note 1)
> matplotlib 1.0.0 (but wx support is iffy; see note 2)
> PIL 1.1.7
> pygame 1.9.1
>
> They are available here:
> <http://www.astro.washington.edu/users/rowen/python/>
>
> Please test them and let me know if they work for you. So far I have
> tried them on 10.4 Intel (where I built them) and 10.5 Intel.
> I also ran code built from them on 10.3.9 PPC.
>
> Notes:
> 1) the numpy 1.5.0 binary installer that is served by the numpy folks
> does NOT work with 32-bit python 2.7. That is why I made a new installer.

It apparently depends on your platform, it did work for me. There are
some other issues for numpy, like the 2.6 installer working everywhere
except on 10.5 Intel. For numpy 1.5.1 we set up a new build box
running 10.5 instead of 10.6 and plan to copy the python.org naming
scheme (and hence also provide two 2.7 installers).

> 2) I doubt matplotlib works with wxAgg because I used the wxPython
> binary installer for 2.7, and I fear it may only be compatible with
> 64-bit python. I only tested TkAgg.
>
> While we are going through the uncomfortable transition between 32-bit
> and 64-bit python (e.g. while we still support Mac OS X 10.4) it would
> really help if folks who make binary installers were explicit about
> which version of Python they are for (32-bit or 64-bit).

Agreed.

Cheers,
Ralf