[Pythonmac-SIG] Recommended Tcl/Tk with Py-2.6.x? (was: Test failure...)

Tom Loredo loredo at astro.cornell.edu
Thu Mar 4 19:06:25 CET 2010

Chris wrote:

> > In the past I've also used wxpython for matplotlib, but the wxpython
> > situation with Snow Leopard seems even more confusing than the tkinter
> > situation!
>
> How so? Difficult, maybe, but it shouldn't be confusing:
>
> wxPython is 32 bit, you need to use it with 32 bit Python.

* At the very top of the wxpython page:

(8-Oct-2008) A set of wxPython binaries for Python 2.6 on the Mac and Windows
(32-bit and 64-bit) are now available.

* On the wxpython download page:

http://www.wxpython.org/download.php#binaries

the Mac section says not a word about 32- vs 64-bit.

* Google:

wxpython "Snow Leopard"

Does that look very clear or promising?

* Apple's Python on SL is 64-bit by default; unless a user
understands the 32-bit compatibility and has also figured out
how to use Apple's proprietary mechanism to switch Python to
32-bit, they will not have an easy time with Apple's Python
and wxpython.

The actual situation may be straightforward, but potential users
should not have to stumble upon a mailing list posting to figure
out what will work.

32-bit Python will be fine for me for the time being, so I'm
glad to learn what will work.  But some of my time series work
is pressing closer to the 32-bit boundary.  Also, as long as
those with some expertise with what goes on "under the covers"
(and Chris has 10^3 times my expertise) don't push on 64-bit to
see what breaks when and where, 64-bit will never happen.

> I'm quite happy with wx for MPL and all sorts of other stuff, though I"m
> not on Snow Leopard yet, either.

It's a SL thread, but still I'm glad to learn what combinations
work.  Can you let us know exactly what is working for you?
Leopard?  Apple's Python or Python.org or a new build?  Which
Python version?  Which numpy/scipy/mpl versions?  (This should
probably be another thread!)

On a related topic, Kevin noted:

> many people can't get their 64-bit
> Python GUI apps to build with py2app. I've seen reports on issues with
> PyQt and PyObjC, and I've also had similar issues with my Tkinter apps.

I don't know how representative this is of the current situation,
but it appears 2.6.5 has fixed at least one annoying bug wrt py2app
and PyObjC:

Building 64-bit PyObjC Applications With Py2app
http://www.hardcoded.net/articles/building-64-bit-pyobjc-applications-with-py2app.htm

-Tom