[Pythonmac-SIG] py-Appscript broken with FileMaker 11?

has hengist.podd at virgin.net
Mon Jul 12 19:19:39 CEST 2010

John Jackson wrote:

> I recently upgraded FileMaker to version 11, and discovered that my python-based application that relies on appscript to control a FileMaker database has broken.

I believe that's a bug in FMP 11, where sending an ascr/gdte (get terminology) event to FMP returns the default Cocoa Scripting terminology, rather than FMP's actual dictionary. You should file a bug report with FileMaker, as this will also affect scripting FMP from AppleScript via Remote Apple Events.

As a workaround, use the dump function in appscript.terminology to export the FMP dictionary to a static module and pass that module when creating app objects, like this: app('FileMaker Pro', terms=fmp11terminologymodule). Make sure you run the dump command under 32-bit Python (use 'arch -i386' followed by the path to the python interpreter in the Python.framework bundle) as it uses OSAGetAppTerminology, which isn't present in OS X's 64-bit APIs.

HTH

has
--
Learn AppleScript, 3rd edition, Sanderson & Rosenthal:
http://apress.com/book/view/9781430223610