[Pythonmac-SIG] Using Python 2.5 on Snow Leopard

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Fri Sep 11 19:50:59 CEST 2009

I was happy to see that Python 2.5 still shipped with SL, but now I'm
less happy.  I can't seem to compile PIL for Python 2.5 on Snow Leopard.

The problem is that when I build and install libjpeg or libpng, it
builds 64-bit libraries, but Python 2.5 is 32-bit, so the libraries
don't work when PIL tries to use them.  You get an error message
something like this:

>>> import _imaging
ImportError: dlopen(/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/PIL/_imaging.so, 2):
  Symbol not found: _jpeg_resync_to_restart>  Referenced from: /Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/PIL/_imaging.so
  Expected in: dynamic lookup

Bill