[Pythonmac-SIG] Should Python.app be an LSUIElement = 1 app?

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Tue Feb 3 14:22:40 CET 2009

On 2 Feb, 2009, at 17:58, Bill Janssen wrote:

> I'm thinking that the right thing to do about rocket-in-the-dock
> should
> be to change the Info.plist of Python.app, to include the setting
> "LSUIElement: 1".  Here's the doc from Apple:
>
> ``LSUIElement (String). If this key is set to '1', Launch Services
> runs
> the application as an agent application. Agent applications do not
> appear in the Dock or in the Force Quit window. Although they
> typically
> run as background applications, they can come to the foreground to
> present a user interface if desired. A click on a window belonging
> to an
> agent application brings that application forward to handle events.The
> Dock and loginwindow are two applications that run as agent
> applications.''
>
> It seems to me that this is what we want for the Python interpreter
> proper.  Applications (like IDLE) that are indeed proper foreground
> apps
> can always call TransformProcessType() to override this setting and
> get
> a dock icon for themselves.

I don't agree.  Python.app is as it is to make it possible to run
simple GUI scripts from the command-line, if I understand the
LSUIElement document correctly the setting you propose would make it
impossible to use "python sometkscript.py" to run a simple GUI script.

IMHO the best way to get rid of the Rocket icon is to investigate what
causes the icon to appear and to look for workarounds for that. The
icon should only occur when the application (e.g. python script)
communicates with the window server.

Ronald