[Pythonmac-SIG] python23 under leopard (intel mac)

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Wed Jan 23 08:29:16 CET 2008

On 22-Jan-2008, at 22:55 , Ronald Oussoren wrote:

> On 21 Jan, 2008, at 19:58, j47 wrote:
>

>> I am also having trouble with Python 2.3.6 under Leopard (yes, I'm
>> stuck with
>> this version).
>
> That's too bad, this version is not supported on Leopard.
>>

>> Tried everything as below. I still get:
>>
>> Undefined symbols:
>> "__dummy", referenced from:
>> ld: symbol(s) not found
>> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>> make: *** [python.exe] Error 1
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> The error you're getting seems to be related to the build procedure,
> hence I'd look into the differences in compiler/linker arguments
> between 2.3.6 and 2.5.1 to try to detect what's going on.

IIRC that "__dummy" was a workaround for something not being loaded
into the shared library that's at the heart of the Python framework.
Don't ask me what wasn't being loaded, this is really long ago (OSX
10.2, or 10.3 at the latest).

If you look through the Makefile (Makefile.pre.in, configure.in, etc)
you should be able to find it, there's probably a linker flag "-u
__dummy" somewhere. Try removing it, and see what breaks.
Goldman