[Pythonmac-SIG] newbie Mac switcher trying to set up django on Intel MacBook Pro Tiger

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Thu Jan 3 18:40:12 CET 2008

On Jan 3, 2008, at 10:27 AM, Ronald Oussoren wrote:

>> I think that for "true" end users Idle is the only serious
>> omission. The first one is really for developers only, and the
>> second one doesn't really become important until such fat eggs
>> become widely available (which they are not right now, IIRC).
>
> I need to check on an unpatched system, but I'm pretty sure that
> setuptools will refuse to install fat eggs at the moment, and that
> is something that will bite causal developers (e.g. you install
> something like turbogears and will complain about missing eggs).

It seems to be working for me.  Some source I compiled builds a python
wrapper (swig-based), which also depends on numpy.  I used ARCHFLAGS
to build quad-arch:

export ARCHFLAGS="-arch ppc -arch i386 -arch ppc64 -arch x86_64"

With "make install" it uses setup.py's setup(), which works with no
errors.  The zipped egg the build process generates also installs with
easy_install with no errors.  The egg is named with only the build
system's arch, i386.  I don't see anything in the egg-info or easy-
install.pth that identifies the architectures, other than the egg name.

I haven't done any patching to the system's python.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

All generalizations are dangerous, even this one.