[Pythonmac-SIG] newbie Mac switcher trying to set up django on Intel MacBook Pro Tiger

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Thu Jan 3 17:27:49 CET 2008

On 3 Jan, 2008, at 17:03, Jack Jansen wrote:

> On 3 jan 2008, at 14:22, Ronald Oussoren wrote:
>
>> Now that there are several people that want to support Apple's
>> build of python: how do we go forward from here?
>>
>> I think we should start a small project for "MacPython Addons",
>> this project will install:
>>
>> * Hotfix for distutils to ensure that distutils builds univeral
>> binaries (32-bit only at first)
>> * (possibly) hotfix to ensure that you can install '-fat-' eggs on
>> 10.5
>> * /Applications/Python-2.5/IDLE.app
>

> I think that for "true" end users Idle is the only serious omission.
> The first one is really for developers only, and the second one
> doesn't really become important until such fat eggs become widely
> available (which they are not right now, IIRC).

I need to check on an unpatched system, but I'm pretty sure that
setuptools will refuse to install fat eggs at the moment, and that is
something that will bite causal developers (e.g. you install something
like turbogears and will complain about missing eggs).

> Hmm, idea to keep this manageable: how much work would it be to
> create tiny installers for each of these hotfixes, and then have a
> umbrella installer that encompasses all of these? That way, as new
> problems surface the only work would be to create a hotfix installer
> for that single problem and do a tiny update to the umbrella
> installer.

I want to do whatever keeps my live as easy as possible, either an
umbrella package with small hotfix packages or one package that
installs all hotfixes. I also want to keep the addon package as small
as possible and don't want to end up shipping a package that patches
Apple's install to 2.5.2 (whenever that is released).

Ronald