[Pythonmac-SIG] using py2app to include the python interpreter?

Patrick Li patrick at raptr.com
Fri Aug 1 23:52:26 CEST 2008

Hi,

I just used py2app to bundle my app on Leopard.  It works fine on my
computer.  However, when I let my friend run the app on his machine that is
running Tiger, it returned an error regarding the python runtime:

"A Python runtime could be located.  You may need to install a framework
build of Python, or edit the PyRuntimeLocations array in this application's
Info.plist file."

After further investigation, it appears that Leopard comes with python 2.5
and Tiger comes with python 2.3.  As a result, it was not able to find the
python runtime to execute my application.

I was under the assumption that py2app is supposed to bundle python all
together so that it can run on any machine as a standalone without depending
on python being installed on their machine?  Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance,
Patrick