[Pythonmac-SIG] Minimal Python 2.5 and Django install

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Sep 19 20:13:52 CEST 2007

Joel Bender wrote:
>> If you already have a .profile file, open it in an editor, and add
>> that line to it.
>
> I didn't have one, so I tried to create it using TextWrangler.  When I
> went to save it, it complained "The name ".profile" is already used by a
> folder."

really? who the heck put that in?

There is also .bash_profile and .bashrc that work.

There are subtle differences that I don't understand about how those are
loaded by bash.

> directory, and then made .profile with your PATH="..." expression using
> '$ cat > .profile'.
>
> The new path doesn't show up anywhere that I can see, even after logging
> out and logging back in.

odd. it works for me. Do look at your .profile file and make sure it has
in it what you expect.

 From the bash man page:

"""
When  bash is invoked as an interactive login shell, or as a non-inter-
active shell with the --login option, it first reads and executes  com-
mands  from  the file /etc/profile, if that file exists.  After reading
that file, it looks for ~/.bash_profile, ~/.bash_login, and ~/.profile,
in  that order, and reads and executes commands from the first one that
exists and is readable.
"""

so maybe you have a .bash_profile or .bash_login and it's reading that
and stopping.

 From the looks of this, and the fact that you had another .profile,
maybe .bash_profile is the best one to use.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov