[Pythonmac-SIG] Minimal Python 2.5 and Django install

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Sep 19 18:39:42 CEST 2007

Joel Bender wrote:
>> I started again and wrote an 'absurdly simple' OS X 10.4
>> Django install guide...

Nice. A few comments:

If you double-click on the tarball in the finder, it will
"automagically" be unpacked for you.

> First, thank you!  Here's an update:
>
>     If typing python -V in Terminal still gives version 2.3...
>
> Check your path, it should include /usr/local/bin:
>
>      $ echo $PATH
>
> If it doesn't, check to see if you have a .bash_login file.

ARRGG! why the heck does bash have SO MANY options for config files!

anyway, the most common choice for OS-X is to put this stuff in
.profile. I think that's where the Python installer puts it.

Also:

 >      $ echo 'export PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:$PATH"' >

That's not quite it -- yes, it's good to have /usr/local/bin on your
PATH, but for python, you need:

PATH="/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin:${PATH}"

That will put the "current" python and various python scripts on your PATH

If you already have a .profile file, open it in an editor, and add that
line to it.

Finally,

Maybe this should be on the MacPython wiki?

http://wiki.python.org/moin/MacPython

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov