[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app: Leopard vs. Tiger

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Wed Oct 10 21:29:28 CEST 2007

On 10 Oct, 2007, at 20:55, Kevin Walzer wrote:

> I'm debating when to move my own development machine to Leopard. Right
> now all the components that I use to assemble my Python app were built
> on 10.4, so I know they should run on both 10.4 and 10.5; I want to
> continue to support 10.4. However, will an application that is bundled
> by py2app on 10.5 run on 10.4 if all the frameworks were originally
> build on 10.4? Does py2app introduce any kind of additional
> compilation
> that would break backward OS compatability?

py2app does not cause additional compilation. As long as the python
framework and all extensions and shared libraries  are build for 10.4
the resulting .app should work just fine.

In theory it should even be possible to build extensions on 10.5, as
long as the python framework is build with the 10.4u SDK and
MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET is set to 10.4. That's not something I've
tested though, just compiling all C/C++ code on a 10.4 system is
therefore the safest course.

Ronald