[Pythonmac-SIG] Universal wxPython app fails when run on second (PPC) machine

Erik Westra ewestra at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 10:20:34 CEST 2006

Hello again,

Sorry for taking so long to reply -- I've been swamped with other
work lately.

> I cannot reproduce this with the most recent version of py2app (the
> one you'll get when installing pyobjc from subversion). That also
> claims to be 0.2.5, but I don't know how different it is from the
> one in the package repository.

I had a report today from one of the people in my development team
who also has a MacBook, and had exactly the same error message on his
Intel-based machine:

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/Users/awt/Risk Reporter/Risk Reporter.app/Contents/
> Resources/main.py", line 57, in main
>   File "Framework.pyc", line 264, in run
>   File "main.py", line 82, in startup
>   File "main.py", line 21, in __init__
>   File "library/utilities/wxUtils.py", line 388, in __init__
>   File "Framework.pyc", line 122, in get
>   File "Framework.pyc", line 350, in _getPythonModule
>   File "library/Workbench/Workbench.py", line 30, in ?
>   File "Framework.pyc", line 134, in get
>   File "Framework.pyc", line 350, in _getPythonModule
>   File "library/Workbench/PythonShell.py", line 11, in ?
>   File "wx/py/__init__.pyc", line 8, in ?
>   File "wx/py/crust.pyc", line 15, in ?
>   File "wx/py/editwindow.pyc", line 8, in ?
>   File "wx/stc.pyc", line 10, in ?
>   File "wx/_stc.pyc", line 18, in ?
>   File "wx/_stc.pyc", line 11, in __load
> ImportError: Failure linking new module: /Users/awt/Risk Reporter/
> Risk Reporter.app/Contents/Resources/Python/lib-dynload/wx/_stc.so:
> Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/wxPython-ansi-2.6.3.2rc2/lib/
> libwx_macd-2.6.0.dylib
>   Referenced from: /Users/awt/Risk Reporter/Risk Reporter.app/
> Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/libwx_macd_stc- 2.6.0.dylib
>   Reason: image not found

So I don't think this is a universal binary problem, but rather a
more general problem with standalone wxPython apps built using
py2app, regardless of whether they are run on an Intel machine or a
PPC machine.

> I've tested by building the doodle example on an intel box and then
> running it on a PPC box (that doesn't have wxPython installled).

Doodle works fine, on both Intel and PPC.  But when I tried building
demo/PyCrust.py into a standalone application and running it on a
separate machine, the above error message reappeared.  So it's not
just my particular application that's failing -- it seems to be a
more general problem with any wxPython application that makes use of
wx.stc.

Any suggestions for how I can fix this?  I'm going to try disabling
the use of PyCrust in my application for now -- but it'd be good to
be able to fix this properly.

Thanks,

  - Erik.