[Pythonmac-SIG] Universal wxPython app fails when run on second (PPC) machine

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Tue Jul 4 14:40:22 CEST 2006

On Jul 3, 2006, at 11:08 AM, Erik Westra wrote:

> Hello, pythonmac folks.
>
> Thanks to all the hard work you guys have been doing getting Python
> to run on Intel, I have a wxPython application which runs beatifully
> on my MacBook Pro.  I'm using the Framework build of Python 2.4.3
> under OSX 10.4.6, with the "pre-release" universal wxPython version
> 2.6.3.2rc2.  This works perfectly on the Intel machine, but I now
> have to create a standalone version of my system which also runs on
> PPC-based Macs.
>
> I downloaded and installed Bob Ippolito's py2app, version 0.2.5 from
> http://pythonmac.org/packages/py24-fat.  To my pleasant surprise it
> worked first time, successfully building a standalone version of the
> application which runs on the Intel machine just fine.  But when I
> try to copy the app and run it on a second (PPC-based) machine, the
> application crashes with the following error message:

I cannot reproduce this with the most recent version of py2app (the
one you'll get when installing pyobjc from subversion). That also
claims to be 0.2.5, but I don't know how different it is from the one
in the package repository.

I've tested by building the doodle example on an intel box and then
running it on a PPC box (that doesn't have wxPython installled).

Ronald